I would like to share some results of a usability test with 8 children, between 6 & 11 years old, I did last week. It was a fun & very insightful experience for a project I am coordinating.
Without going too much into detail, the website we are making consists of a lot of different building blocks: video, games, self-expression, community block,… So there was a lot to ‘see’.
The results I want to share are generalizations of the childrens behavior we saw during the tests on our website. The children conducted the tests with laptop and mouse.
- If you ask children: search for X on the website, they use the searchbox. All of them. They clearly ‘google’ their way on the internet.
- Children constantly use the backbutton. They search: they use the backbutton to go back. They play, they watch: they go back with the backbutton.
- Children don’t understand tabs. Whenever they open a link that opens in a different tab, they lose their backbutton to go back. They can’t get around this without help. Don’t break their flow.
- Uploading something from a computer, like a photo, is something they are not used too. Whenever the upload tool comes to the part of the computer where explorer opens, with the harddrives, desktop,…, they were completely lost.
- They know very well how to use the webcam. This doesn’t break the website XP as uploading a file from the computer.
- 6 – 7 years old only want to play games. From 8 on the first reflex is playing games but after a while they also want to try other things.
- They all needed help finding the @ on a keyboard. (also on the apple, some work here for the manufacturers)
If you had other results doing usability testing for children, feel free to share your experience.
A non-attractive, not-personalised, Amazon store, 5% fee, hmm, what was I thinking? I got myself a bit carried away there.
I did some research, mainly first page google results: all blabbering about how easy it was to earn money like that. Well, still have to make my first sale. Ok, I didn’t work on it; no linking, no social media, no artikels or whatever. For 5% on a sale? I got me 3 days of traffic with Google Adwords to check conversion rates. Well that was quickly checked: 0%.
No, thank you. I have started another project, much more real, with a rate of 25%. That’s something I wanne personalize and work out.
My advice: with all that online reputation management done recently, look further then the first page of Google results if you want to know what really is happening. Or check other channels…